all poems and photographs
© by Maya Stein

all poems and photographs
© by Maya Stein
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Please include a link (www.papayamaya.blogspot.com) when reproducing any of the material in this blog. Thank you!

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Friday, November 14, 2008

eternity














Of course, we haven’t been promised a thing,
not forever or next year or even tomorrow.
This moment, this half of a half of a second,
is the only thing we can ever truly call
ours.

It’s not that I don’t want
the sun’s full capacity, or the waterfall at it’s boldest roar,
or a forest of birdsong and deer prints,
or the ripest apple from the season’s first harvest.
One could always imagine a lighter, fresher version of here,
dream a little wider, fashion more art from the long,
grey sidewalk.

But this is what happens when I allow time
to slither by instead of muscling it forward:
The peanuts on the flight to Miami, lunch.
The serpentine line at the bank, rest. A crowded bar,
heat and kinship. Your kiss,
one lucky eternity.

6 comments:

deezee said...

Maya,

I absolutely loved and connected to every word here. And for me, the poetry-challenged reader, that says more than you can imagine.

thank you

Dale said...

Yes. Yes, so much yes.

rak said...

I've just started checking in on your blog...and I like it :)

And I like what you've written here. Thanks for sharing :)

Erin said...

Oh, I've been away from reading you for too long, Maya. This was just what I needed to read today. Thank you!

Erin

Anonymous said...

What Erin said! Just lovely, Maya.

Jen Lee said...

So happy to have found you. Big hug to Jen Lemen next time I see her for recommending you to me.