all poems and photographs
© by Maya Stein

all poems and photographs
© by Maya Stein
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Please include a link (www.papayamaya.blogspot.com) when reproducing any of the material in this blog. Thank you!

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Tuesday, May 29, 2007

this or that
























One day I'm thinking about training for a marathon in Hawaii
and the next I'm wondering if the next two years should,
instead, be spent building an eco-conscious
bed & breakfast inn and retreat center in northern California
or somewhere cheaper, like New England. Which takes me to zoning laws
and solar panels and whether or not I will be able
to play perpetual hostess, and away from the laps
around the track I've been accumulating over the week.
And then I remember: what about building houses for
Habitat for Humanity, or traveling around the world
taking photographs, or becoming a basketball coach
or an English teacher? What about walking across country for a year,
or hiking the Appalachian trail or bicycling across Ireland
or becoming a Big Sister to some sweet but troubled girl
living on a shoestring in East Oakland?
Can I squeeze in a songwriting career and a stint
with the circus and when will I learn to really play the guitar
and take voice lessons, and what about that idea of
going back to school and will there be marriage
and children and if so how will I find the time
to be advertising copywriter and come up with
culturally significant taglines like "Just Do It"?

2 comments:

GoGo said...

Wandering through the wondering of what to do makes me wonder what is it you don't want to be doing right now.

I love the B&B idea.

Anonymous said...

Oh. My. Goodness.

Do you have me pegged!

(secretly glad I'm not the only one feeling so pulled in the direction of every whim and dream)